Head Lacrosse Coach
Cheshire High School
- Goalie Warm Up:
- Each Goalie is very different in terms of warm up styles. The warm up is the goalies way of getting into the “Zone”.
- Who is warming the goalie(s) up?
- Long or short warm up?
- Distance from shooter to the goalie
- 1 or 2 shooters
- Emphasize Goalie’s time NOT shooters!!!!
* The positioning (ready position) of a goalie is crucial. Being in the
right position can contribute to 85% of saves.
· Stance (what do we look like in a ready position)
· Hand placement on the stick, surface area
· Feet – some prefer duck feet vs north and south
- Position in the Cage:
- ARC Play- line, shallow and high
- Step Body Balance – stepping to the ball
- We want to play the ball, NOT the ball playing us
- Ball Behind, Cross Crease – different techniques
- Goalies are the Quarterbacks of the Defense (TEAM)
- Call out ball position – top right, top left – 1,2,3,4
- The EXTRA CALLS – sliding, fast breaks slides, crease slides, near man slides, who’s Hot, who’s 2, In the hole
- Mental Aspects – have your goalies recognize offenses, call them out!!
- Video: Always a good idea to tape a goalie and watch with him/or himself
- Stick Care: Pocket (can throw with it, hold the ball), length of Shaft, tennis
- Drills: Walk the line, Footwork, Tennis/Ball Drill, Short Stick warm up,
Reaction Drill, Throw to cone, Partner pass, Wall ball